Is there anything better on a cold, rainy day, than a piping hot serving of hearty, home-cooked chicken casserole? Yum! It’s like a warm hug in a bowl – just like mom used to make.
Good news! Comfort food doesn’t have to mean adding inches to your waistline. You can still enjoy homestyle chicken casserole on a low carb lifestyle. The 5 robustly flavored recipes to follow are keto-friendly and so delicious, your whole family will love them.
Who doesn’t love a quick and easy week-night meal? Once you try these irresistible low carb chicken casserole recipes, they’ll surely become your new go-to staples for family dinners. You can even pack up the leftovers and bring them to work the next day for a yummy, low carb lunch.
These casseroles make the perfect, mouth-watering dish to serve when company is coming over, or bring one to a potluck! They’re so easy to make; yet, dinner guests and party-goers alike will be impressed with how fancy they taste. They’ll never guess you made your dish in 30 minutes or less. (Shhh…. let’s keep that our little secret.)
So come in out of the cold, cosy up in your warm, fuzzy slippers and allow yourself to indulge (guilt-free) in the rustic, comforting flavors of home.
Creamy Chicken Bacon Alfredo Bake
- 2 Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons parsley
- 1 Small onion
- 1 Cup fresh mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 Strips bacon
- 1 Tablespoon cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan
- ½ Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ Cup plain cashew milk
- ¼ Cup cream of chicken soup
- 2 Cups, broccoli, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- Cut chicken into cubes, season with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. Fry on high heat for about 10 minutes, while turning, until fully cooked through.
- In separate saucepan on medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of coconut flour to create a rue.
- Slowly add in cashew milk and cream of chicken soup.
- Add in cream cheese, and the other teaspoon of garlic powder, while stirring continuously. Reduce heat as soon as it comes to a boil. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking on low heat, while stirring until sauce thickens.
- Fry 4 Strips of bacon in a separate pan until tender. Add in the mushrooms and sauté these at the same time. Remove bacon and mushrooms from pan and set aside. Reserve any bacon fat in pan.
- Fry chicken breasts in the same pan that you fried the bacon and mushrooms. The bacon fat will add flavor to the chicken and make it crispy. Fry chicken breasts on medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until chicken is completely cooked through and breading is lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Steam or boil broccoli until tender, yet firm. Toss broccoli in half of the Alfredo sauce and spread on bottom of medium-sized oven-safe casserole dish.
- Lay cooked chicken breast cubes and mushrooms on top of the broccoli. Pour the remaining Alfredo sauce over the casserole to completely cover.
- Crumble bacon strips and top with bacon bits, parsley, parmesan and cheddar cheese. Season the top layer again with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375 until cheese melts and Alfredo sauce becomes bubbly.
Makes 2 Servings. (Double the recipe for a family of 4.)
Chicken Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
- 2 Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, filleted in half
- 1 Cup low carb (low sugar) marinara sauce (bottled or homemade).
- 1 Teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
- 1 Teaspoon basil, fresh or dried
- 4 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Large eggplant
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Fillet cut each chicken breast by cutting into two thin pieces. Place each chicken breast half into a plastic baggie and pound it on a cutting board with a meat mallet until large and flat. Season with 1 tablespoon garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Roll in coconut flour to lightly bread.
- Peel and chop eggplant into 1 inch chunks and toss in olive oil to coat. Season with garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper and add to bottom of greased, oven-ready casserole dish. Pour ½ marinara sauce over eggplant.
- Place breaded chicken on top of eggplant. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes at 375 Degrees, flipping chicken halfway through.
- Top chicken with rest marinara sauce, basil and oregano, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes. Check to ensure chicken is fully cooked through. Cheese topping should be bubbly and lightly browned.
Makes 2 servings.
Keto Chicken Curry Casserole
- ½ Pound chicken thighs, boneless, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ Cup fresh green beans
- ½ Cup snow peas in pods
- ½ Red bell pepper, diced
- ½ Cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Cups coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 Red chili pepper, finely chopped or grated
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Large cauliflower
- 3 ounces butter
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Melt coconut oil in large frying pan or wok.
- Fry chopped onion, ginger and chili pepper until onion is tender and ginger releases aroma, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste and chopped chicken. Fry until chicken is light brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add more oil if needed.
- Add 1 head of grated cauliflower, sliced mushrooms, green beans and snow peas to medium-sized, greased casserole dish.
- Add the coconut milk, season with turmeric and curry paste. Add salt and ½ teaspoon smoked paprika and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until veggies are tender and curry sauce thickens.
Makes 2 servings.
Tuscan Garlic Chicken Zoodle Casserole
- 1/2 Pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 Cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup spinach chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sliced black olives
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Large zucchini, spiralized
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil on bottom of a large, oven-ready casserole dish. Add raw spiralized zucchini noodles. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the chicken and cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Turn chicken and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic on top of chicken.
- Add the cream, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese.
- Top with spinach, and olives. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Return to oven until casserole is completely heated through, spinach has wilted, and sauce has reduced.
Makes 2 servings.
Keto Pulled BBQ Chicken Casserole
- 1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Cup sugar-free barbeque sauce (or unsweetened homemade BBQ sauce)
- 1/4 Cup chicken stock
- ½ Teaspoon garlic seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 6 Slices hickory smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 Teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add boneless skinless chicken to slow cooker and season with garlic pepper and salt, then cover with chicken broth or water and cook for 3 hours on high.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium sized oven-read casserole dish. Remove the chicken from slow cooker, allow to cool, and pull-apart (shred) chicken by hand.
- Place pulled chicken in bottom of greased casserole dish and sprinkle garlic seasoning and smoked paprika. (Smoked paprika, as opposed to regular paprika, gives that smoky mesquite flavor.)
- Pour sugar-free BBQ sauce on top of chicken and then pour in chicken stock.
- Crumble fried bacon on top.
- Cover with Monterrey Jack cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes uncovered to reduce sauce and melt cheese.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve over buttered, cauliflower mash or alongside oven-baked turnip fries.
Makes 2 servings.